Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spontaneous Combustion


After recounting my latest tennis escapades, my work colleague turned to me and said “You’re kind of a yuppie, aren’t you?” Huh?!?! I have never been called a yuppie before, well I don’t think, snobby bitch yes, but yuppie, not so much. While I thought it was highlar (and inaccurate…well kinda inaccurate) it got me to think of other gross misperceptions people have of me. Like the fact that many people think I am a buttoned-up square (okay that one might be a little true), always truant (okay, so prompt is not in my vocab) and unspontaneous (is that even a word, if not then how can I be that?).

Why must everyone always judge me? WHY GOD WHY? Wait where was I going with this? Oh yes, so back to my nonsense. Now, to know me is to love me (or hate me but pretend to love me) and for those of you who know me know that I have two strict rules that I pretty much live by:
  1. I don’t do “mini breaks” in the US, exception for Miami, and I especially don’t do Hawaii. I mean Vicky, Pistol and I rolled out there when we were 19 after a whim and summer job cash…puh lease. I remember both Vicky and I giggling in our sweltering apartment in Maui saying that we would not be back; the world was too big to be wasted on non-passport places. Hawaii was rookie shit.
  2. I need AMPLE warning before doing anything, like ANYTHING. I hate last minute stuff; I need to be emotionally prepared to do anything and everything. Spontaneity stresses me out, makes me uncomfortable, stresses me out, gives me ulcers, you get the point.

Immediately after Yuppigate, I hop on IM and chat up my BFF Vicky B. We get to talking about work and how we need to make vacay plans and actually stick to them. You see, Vicky and I always make travel plans because we both have very similar travel profiles and vacation style (exotic and even packed) but these days our plans never making it past the "we should stage". When I was a nomad for those years post college, traveling the world and taking odd jobs to travel some more, she was my PIC*, my confidant, she was Waston. Nowadays we both work 80 hour jobs while reminiscing on IM of the glory days gone by.

One thing leads to another and bam all of a sudden I am on SPG.com and united.com, simultaneously, looking up travel packages to Hawaii…yes spontaneously looking up flights to Hawaii.

Exhilarated, I IM Pistol to see if she is in on this action, and being the good enabling friend that she is, she was a “hellz to the yes on that bitch” that culminated in purchased airfare and hotel reservations for 3 to Oahu in May (which Pistol tells me is where Honolulu is because Honolulu is not an island…GENIUS). How is that for spontaneous and rule breaking?

So yes, the countdown to Hawaii has begun and honestly I am kinda excited. I have MAJAH plans to surf every day that I am there and forcing Pistol and Vicky B to surf with me (shark and giant squid hopefully avoided).

This post is dedicated to ChaLEAN Extreme.

*Partner in Crime

5 comments:

Valley Girl said...

I'm with you on spontanaeity--it takes me at least an hour to shower, shave my legs, and apply my makeup!

Have fun on your mini-vacation! What made you decide on Hawaii?

YZA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YZA said...

OMG OMG OMG. I just decided that P and I are totally gonna hacemos un viaje a la republica dominicana en mayo! omg i just got so excited i slipped into spanish.

you girls should island hop and we'll have a drink on the beach, no?

ps. i love your use of numbered bullets

The Alleged Ringleader said...

I'm totally with you on the whole mini break thing! I ONLY go to Miami, seriously I don't even waste my time with Vegas, been there DONE THAT and would rather be elsewhere!
Honestly, I don't like Hawaii either. There are so many better places that treat us way better than they do in Hawaii!

it's not a gravy train said...

Val - I picked Hawaii because I said "ugh, I would even be willing to go to Hawaii" ha ha. That and I wanted a place with good surfing conditions.

YZA - OMG!!! YAY!!!! You guys are going to have mucho divertimento!!!

Ringleader - I swear we must be twins somemtimes. Although, I am really looking forward to just sitting and not doing anything besides surfing.