Tuesday, April 27, 2010

360 Degrees of Awesome


As a proud member of all things extreme I have to say I officially have an extreme sports injury. And by extreme sports I really mean that my ankle could not stand the pressure of my weight any longer and gave way…while I was wearing Nike running shoes (you know the kind with the stabilizers inside)…while walking at a good 1.5 miles per hour…on a flat surface…in front of my yoga studio…FML.

Yes kiddies, I have sprained my ankle in the lamest way possible and to try to compensate I have made up a wild story at work about how I fell skateboarding*…except no one believes me because apparently I am not the skateboarding type. Sigh.

Case in point, IM convo with friend at work:
Ritchie Rich: hey, what the hell
Gravy Train: i went skateboarding this weekend and sprained my ankle
Ritchie Rich: you went to watch other people skateboard?
Ritchie Rich: and sprained your ankle climbing the stadium stairs?
Gravy Train: why does no one believe me
Gravy Train: i would totally skateboard
Ritchie Rich: GT, those kids fall
Ritchie Rich: a lot
Ritchie Rich: on their face
Gravy Train: OMG, ewe
Gravy Train: I mean rad**

I mean honestly, what the hell? At some point in my short…okay…long tenure at work I have seem to have come across as this girly girl square whose closest thing to extreme are the 4 inch heels she wears only sometimes because anything over 2.5 inches at work I think is inappropriate. And clearly I don’t even follow that as most people assumed that I had fallen out of my ridiculous heels and sprained my ankle that way.

When did this happen? I am sure at some point in my life I had an “extreme” edge...like the time I wanted to go Snowboarding and I picked out the perfect puffy white snow outfit for it. Or like the time I wanted to go skydiving and I found the perfect little rose colored goggles…I mean what is not extreme about that? And I absolutely ADORE surfing and would do it waaaayyyy more often if it did not require being in the sun and prematurely aging oneself, just saying.

Sigh, so the new goal is to do something extreme this year once my ankle recuperates. Any ideas?

So with that, I leave you with a hot ass picture of my cankle taken at work yesterday, yum, so you could ponder how I can get more of these in more legitimate ways.

This post is dedicated to the RICE method

* I honestly don’t know why I did not say a tennis injury as I actually do attempt the tennis playing often and it would be totes feasible for me to hurt myself while doing it. But I panicked and skateboarding was the first thing that came to mind.
** do the kiddies still say rad?

2 comments:

YZA said...

dude. i was skateboarding (for real, not GT style, albeit horribly) on my cousin's board for like 20 minutes and everything was fine. Then I stepped of the board onto the sidewalk and BAM, sprained ankle. WTF is that??!

The Alleged Ringleader said...

Yowza!! I can totally relate...I fell walking out of my office while wearing flats and my cankle looked just about as bad as yours except with really pretty blue, purple, and eventually yellow bruising all over it! I swear my ankle has not been the same since then :(