Saturday, January 3, 2009

2009 Can You Hear Me?

Alrighty, it is that time of year again when we all gain perspective of our life over the previous years and make resolutions we really have no intention of keeping. In honor of that tradition, I have made a list and checked it twice of those things I vow to kinda try to do in 2009. Enjoy.

  1. Stop speaking like a delusional teen. This includes saying words like totes, whatevs, vom, perf, probs, gorge, et cetera. This means I must also stop saying “Oh my God, I know right?!?!” in response to anything and everything. I am a 30 year-old well-educated professional who sounds like a total moron most of the time, I get it and it is time to change.*
  2. Eliminate consumption of fake sugar. This means no mas to the likes of diet coke, splenda, et cetera.**
  3. I was told once at a party that being 5’2’’ and 130lbs means you are morbidly obese. Given that I am morbidly obese I plan to lose about 10 lbs in oh nine. But not if it is too hard to maintain as maintenance of a slamming body is key…bobble head doll on the other hand not so key.***
  4. Utilizing the snowball method I plan to pay off cards and whatnots so that I effectively work on a cash only basis as Suze Orman says to do. I believe that Xtian would call this paying down debt while staying cash flow positive…I once heard him say that on a conference call so I have been aching for an excuse to use it. Once accomplished I plan to put all my extra money in savings…well not all…we all have to do our part in stimulating the economy which I will plan to do via key sales such as the Nordies Half-Yearly or the Neiman Summer Sale…God bless America after all.
  5. Limit alcoholic units consumed per week to 4. Since I moved to SF I have become a SERIOUS alcoholic pretty much depleting our very expansive (not to mention pricey) wine collection in a matter of two months. It would be one thing if I were hosting fabulous dinner parties or girls’ nights and drinking myself to a splendid stupor but it usually involves me, alone in the loft, blaring the Food Network while staring out the window to assess the parking situation on the street below. Sad, I know.
  6. Use my Nike+ system I received last Christmas in my quest to become a runner. This is a carryover resolution of 08 that I did not accomplish. Boo.
  7. Speaking of carryover resolutions, I vow to also be nice to Xtian this year. I just can’t help it, I mean he is such a doll to me about 92.7% of the time whereas I am a doll to him…well let’s not go there but let’s just say I ain’t making any dean’s list with my average. I am like one of those bratty kids on the Real Housewives of Orange Country, it is so ridiculous and I acknowledge that.

This post is dedicated to list making

* This may also have to include the elimination of my other choice phrases such as “OMG, I heart Britney” to anyone who will listen. I mean I totes do, but perhaps this is a convo I should have in my head.
**Well okay maybe I will occasionally indulge because 30 grams of sugar in a sprite is RIDICULOUS. I think the general rule is to not consume anything with over 6 grams so that is just crazy…expecially since you could probs have flan for that sugar count.
***I heart working out but I also heart wine and tasting menus (and McDonald’s Big Macs…OMG, so good right?!?!) so I think this may be impossible but at least I try.

7 comments:

Valley Girl said...

I am happy to report I have done #4 on your list, and am almost there to #1!!! I have no credit card balances and just pay for everything with my debit card now. And I no longer say "like" all the time either!!! I am so proud. Good luck with your resolutions, sweetie! And if you want, I will give you my address so you can donate your wine collection to me! Thanks!

YZA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
YZA said...

1) uh, no. srsly

2) ew. fake sugar gives you cancer. you might as well start smoking, too

3) with the unpredictable cold climate upon us, the skinny ones will die first

4) once you've accomplished the snowball method, your next step is to write a book about it hence keeping that cash flow positive

5) i will drink your wine for you. we'll kill two resolutions with one stone

6) i've always wanted one, but don't want to have to buy new shoes. it's money better used for food

7) omg. this is also one of mine. let's be nice together.

Steph said...

I just came across your blog, and I'm going to keep reading for sure! :)

it's not a gravy train said...

Val - Congrats on doing #4 and #1. Ha ha, yes on the sending the wine. Given that since New Year's i have consumed about 3 bottles (well okay I have consumed 3 bottles in the last 3 days, so sad).

YZA - OMG, I heart you. Espesh for #3. And I agree that we should be nice this year, but didn't we try this in HS? I don't think it worked.

Suzy Q - YAY!!!! Welcome to the fold my dear!

The Alleged Ringleader said...

This is a really great list! Part of me says what's wrong with drinking wine and watching the food network every night but then I realize that I could probably be using my time to better my life.

#1 is going to be REALLY tough!

Good luck missy!

it's not a gravy train said...

Ringleader - I know right, drinking and watching TV is so awesome, yet so bad, yet so awesome.

As for #1, I know, I can't stop, I totes can't. FAIL!